The annual report on violence against women for 2022 shows that last year 4,608 crimes of this type were registered in Palma, 68% of which corresponded to injuries and abuse. For its part, the breaking of sentences or judicial measures was the motive in 2 out of every 10 cases. In addition, the number of protection orders implemented doubled in Palma compared to the previous year, with an increase of 55% in the Balearic Islands as a whole. Among the applications, there was a significant increase of 222% towards the spouse and 166% towards the ex-spouse.

The profile of the requests for protection shows that in 53% of the cases the accused is a man of Spanish nationality, while the remaining 47% is of foreign nationality. In 41% of the measures applied, communication is prohibited, and in 27% of the cases a restraining order is established.

Protection and care for victims

informe violencia contra mujeres palma

During 2022, 3,211 women in the Balearic Islands had a comprehensive monitoring system, representing an increase of 85% compared to the previous year. 24% more women had official protection and 49 ATENPRO devices were activated, benefiting 192 women. The 016 number dealt with 1,736 calls, 163 more than the previous year.

The report highlights that 86% of sexual crimes are committed against women and 14% against men. This pattern increases in crimes of harassment (93% female victims), sexual assault (90-91%) and sexual abuse (86-89%). However, 97% of perpetrators of sexual offences are male. As for cyber sexual crime, 1,628 offences were recorded, with 71% of the victims being female, mainly minors (85%). In 97% of the 752 arrests, the arrestee was male, with the profile of this cybercriminal being a man between 18 and 50 years old. In global terms, almost 1 in 3 women over the age of 16 have suffered violence by a partner or ex-partner in their lifetime and only 2 out of 10 victims file a complaint.

In relation to data on trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation (TFES), it is worth noting that, in Palma, 22% of the people who work as prostitutes are said to be in a situation of TFES, totalling 318 victims. Ninety-nine percent are foreigners, mainly from Colombia, Nigeria, China and Brazil. Six out of 10 are in an irregular situation, with an average age of 34.6 years. Half of them are exploited in a private home.

Palma City Council recalled that it has two specialised services for the care of women victims of violence: SAMVVM and SAIVM. In the SAMVVM (Service of Attention to Women Victims of Gender Violence), 207 people were taken in, including women victims and their children. In the SAIVM outpatient service, 970 victims were attended to, 13% more than in 2021.