This Friday, September 22 is the European Car Free Day, which aims to promote environmental awareness in citizens around the world. The City Council of Palma has scheduled a series of activities as part of the European Mobility Week. On this day public transport will be free for all citizens and tourists without the need to use the Citizen Card or the Intermodal
The program of this celebration has its big day on September 22, European Car Free Day. On this day, all citizens will be able to travel free of charge on the city bus, train and metro without having to use the Citizen Card or the Intermodal Card. As well as tourists who are on the island. As explained by the City Council, there will be no traffic restrictions or street closures in Palma as the aim is to raise awareness among citizens about the need to increase the use of public transport.
In addition, various events will be held throughout the European Car Free Day:
- A competition among work centers to encourage employees to opt for alternatives to the private car, which they have baptized as “El Repte”.
- A joint event between EMT, SMAP and the Consorci de Transports de Mallorca in Plaça Paris where the Public Transport Loyalty Awards will be presented.
- A visit to the TIB depot, which can be accessed through its web site
- A bicycle repair workshop at the Intermodal Station of Palma organized by the Transport Consortium of Mallorca.
- The Tour of Mallorca by Train at the Intermodal Station organized by the Associació Amics del Ferrocarril with the collaboration of the Consorci de Transports de Mallorca.
Activities during the European Mobility Week
On Thursday 21 there will be a BiciPalma workshop and the presentation of the new accessible bus shelter at the EMT stop P386 located on the Valldemossa-Escorxador road. The days of Reflection and Debate on Mobility will continue with the third session entitled “Public transport in Palma. A step forward”.
The last day, Saturday 23, is scheduled in the Plaça Mercat and Plaça Joan Carles I Ia celebration of various festive events related to Sustainable Mobility as Barridiades, FitJove, Road Safety Education Circuit, Kedad Line Dance, Ludoteca de Jardí, Pintacaras and Tatoo de Purpurina, Contacontes, Museubus, visit to the electric bus, children’s activities and activities CaixaForum.
Also and as a culmination to the week you can also visit the train and become a train driver for a day at the Intermodal Station of Palma, as well as visit an exhibition in the same Intermodal to deepen the public transport, without forgetting a walk through the Nit de l’Art.